, Richmond, Nelson, New Zealand

FAQ Campervan Hire

How do I pay?

  • We require a 20% deposit via a secure credit card payment to confirm your booking.  We then require the balance 35 days out from the start of your trip.
  • We accept Visa and MasterCard but please note there is a 3% surcharge for all card transactions.
  • Any extra insurance or items may be paid for online at the time of booking or at our headquarters when you collect the van.

Please note you will need to have sufficient funds to freeze the bond amount when you collect the campervan - dependant on the insurance option you select.  The Funds will be frozen for the entire duration of your trip and will be released on return of the campervan.

What driver’s licenses do you accept?

We require all of our driving customers to:

  • Be 18 years of age or older.
  • Have a full and current drivers licence. Suspended or sanctioned licences are not accepted for any reason.

Licences from English speaking countries are accepted without any supporting documentation. These countries include: New Zealand, Australia, USA, United Kingdom, Ireland and relevant parts of Canada.
If you are from a Non English speaking country you will require the following to legally drive in New Zealand:

  1. Your drivers licence
  2. Either an International licence OR a certified English translation of your home licence. Transnational is recommended for certified translations in New Zealand - you can arrange this on the following link:  www.driverlicencetranslation.co.nz 

Please ensure you complete this prior to your arrival in New Zealand as you will not be able to collect your van until we have your correct licence details.  Please also ensure that you have spent some time understanding the local driving conditions and road rules, it can be tricky driving in a new environment and we want everyone to have an amazing driving experience in their Kinky Camper! 
If you would like more information on driving safely in New Zealand please check Drive Safe NZ's website.

Interisland Ferry Crossing

We offer a discount on all ferry crossings and can organise these for you.
If you need an interisland ferry crossing contact us to enquire and book your ferry.

What is Freedom Camping in New Zealand?

Freedom camping or free camping is the practice of putting up tents or parking up campervans in areas not designated for camping. Free camping typically means that freedom campers cannot access facilities such as clean drinking water, toilets (either flushing or long drop) and waste disposal facilities.

Travelling in a Fully Certified Self Contained Kinky Camper allows you the freedom to travel as you please. Our Campers are fitted out with fresh water and waste water storage and a chemical toilet so you can get off the beaten track. Generally freedom camping is permitted on public conservation land but there are areas where it's prohibited or restricted.
See also Department of Conservation - Freedom Camping and the government information page about freedom camping.

Things to do before getting the campervan

  • If you would like an airport pickup please confirm your flight arrival details and ensure that you have advised us of these in writing and received confirmation. Please also note we charge by calendar day so if you are arriving in the evening you may wish to book a hostel or backpackers and collect your van early the next morning. Please let us know in writing if you need to be collected from another location.
  • Please ensure you have confirmed your licence is valid (per above) and are ready to collect your van.
  • Please ensure your credit card has enough funds available to pay for any insurances or bonds.
  • Please make sure you have taken some time to learn about driving in New Zealand - you will find some valuable information on our driving in NZ information page

Can I pickup my Campervan early or after hours?

No, you can only collect your vehicle during our opening hours.

What is the minimum hire for most roadtrips

Our minimum hires can range from 5 days to 14+ Days according to seasonal demand. For most of the year we tend to base minimum hire periods on an allowance of approximately 300kms per day. You should let our staff know your itinerary when collecting the camper to work what suits you.